Baroque Blog

    The Rainbow Landscape is a magnificent piece of art painted by Peter Paul Ruben in 1636. When searching for artwork for this assignment I found this and immediately decided that is the one I need to write about. I love how detailed it is, and how he managed to make the painting so realistic. He created the painting so you can see the textures of the objects without seeing the defined lines in it. The trees look large and full, you can see the faces of the people, the intense sky, etc. Oil paintings typically do not have this much detail put into them, but I am in awe of the amount he put in.  Not only do the details amaze me, but the colors in the artwork do as well. I believe Ruben used an immense amount of shading with similar colors to give off an autumn type of style to this piece. The amount of yellows, browns, and greens being used makes the sky and rainbow pop. I would definitely own this artwork and hang it in my house, I love artwork that is subtle and beautiful but has meaning. I have noticed that in most Baroque art there is an overall darker tone, where as Renaissance artwork has a brighter tone. I have included a comparison of one painting from each era below.

    Peter Paul Ruben purchased an estate in 1635, and used that to create the imaginary Rainbow Landscape. This painting was most likely based off of a late afternoon in Summer, where it finished raining and the sun is beginning to peak through the clouds. This painting seems to be an ideal place to be when you want to be in your happy place. The Thirty Years' War took place from 1618 to 1648, this was one of the most devastating wars in human history; more than eight million casualties were caused. During this time there probably weren't many places to go to relax, and I believe Ruben painted this so when he needed a place to get away he could use it as his happy place. 


Thirty Years' War

The Rainbow Landscape

Renaissance vs Baroque

Comments

  1. Hi Haley, 
    I love the painting you chose for this week, Peter Paul Ruben has many amazing paintings. The Rainbow Landscape looks like a  mix of renaissance and baroque. Renaissance paintings have more brighter tones and the baroque art has darker tones but the Rainbow Landscape looks like it has both dark and bright tones. I think the painting you chose world well with the baroque theme because of the dark tones that were used. I also wanted to add that I think you did really well describing the analysis of the elements of the painting. I personally have a harder time with the elements in a painting. I do great for statues and sculptures but not so amazing on paintings. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Classical Blog Exhibit

Early Modern Blog Exhibit

Welcome to my Blog: Introduction Post