Classical Blog Exhibit

The Classical Era was from approximately 1730 to1820; during this time there were many artworks created, difficulties, revolutions, inventions made, and scientific discoveries. The major scientific discoveries were mathematics and physics. In this time there were obviously no cameras, so artwork played a significant role in displaying the scientific discoveries. Artists recreating these important events allows us the opportunity to see what the times looked like. The Classical Era art is known for symmetry, decorum, pellucidity, harmony and idealism. The three pieces of artwork I chose that represent this era and scientific discovery are below. 

Benjamin Franklin Drawing Electricity from the Sky by Benjamin West

One scientific discovery that could be argues as one of the most important discoveries of all time is electricity. Benjamin Franklin used a kite during a storm to relate lightning to sparks of energy, he knew that lightning was a form of flowing energy, and he proved that.  This is an oil painting on slate painting in 1752. This picture is an example of a harmony characteristic of the Classical Era, this is because of the unity of the elements. This painting was created with darker colors which definitely contributes to what was actually going on, Benjamin Franklin standing in the middle of a storm to prove lightning is electricity. I would probably not own this painting, while it is very interesting I just don't know if I would want to put it up in my house.  

Portrait of Charles Messier from Nicolas Ansiaume

 

This painting was created in 1771. Charles was the first to compile a systematic catalog of nebulae and star clusters, he discovered 13 star clusters and 40 nebulae. I chose this portrait because it includes Charles' interests and love of astronomy in the painting. Although we do know who painting this, no one knows the location of the original painting. I find it intriguing how the background is very light, and Charles appears very light, but somehow he still stands out drastically. You can see how the artist used depth in this because of how the object in the background appears further away than Charles. I would also not own this painting, although it is a great painting it is not what I think about as a house painting. 

A Philosopher Lecturing on the Orrery by Joseph Wright

A Philosopher Lecturing on the Orrery

The full title of this is A Philosopher Lecturing on the Orrery in which a Lamp is put in Place of the Sun. This painting was created in 1776, it is an oil on canvas painting, and it is in the Derby Museum and Art Gallery. It was said that Joseph gave the philosopher a similar appearance to Sir Isaac Newton, he is also the only person in the painting not recognized as a real person. This painting represents a philosopher teaching about the planets movement around the sun using a lamp. I like how it very clearly shows the "sun" as the only light source in this painting, and how you can still very clearly see everything. I feel the lighting and color contrasts in this painting are the most important part of this work because it shows a type of seriousness that someone who is passionate about what they are teaching should have. You can see in all of the faces how interested they are, and that is my favorite part of this. I actually really enjoy this painting, and I find it very interesting. 


Charles Messier

Fajordano Wordpress

Alexkresha Wordpress

Revolutionary Players

Comments

  1. Hi Haley,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. One thing I thought was fascinating was that you chose three paintings all painted by men and all painted with a backstory about a man. I like how you included the backstory and extra information regarding each painting. Great post Haley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hailey,

    Great to read about your connections with science and art, I will get back to that shortly. I was writing about the French and American Revolution and its art and this adds another perspective to how art got developed during this classical era.

    Honestly, none of the paintings appeals to me. I do not know if it has to do with the different paintings looks or if I cannot connect to the story behind it. Do not get me wrong, I have a huge respect for these scientists that are portrayed and written about in your blog post, but I find a hard time connecting to the story behind.

    An example that would appeal me more is a painting that expresses power, heroism, and patriotism. I got some good examples in my blog post about the different revolutions, when the Americans were fighting the British troops in Boston, Princeton etc. to protect and gain area of the country.

    Also, your comment on Messier's portrait about both the background and Messier being light, and he still stands out drastically was fascinating and cool to me. It added another perspective and view that I have not thought about before. Great job on details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benjamin Franklin Drawing Electricity is amazing. I love the incorporation of religion into it with the angles added. The portrait of Charles Messier is also fascinating, and I agree that the use of lighting in the painting Is interesting because it almost looks like a darkroom as well. Maybe it was a visual of the lightness of the stars he discovered! Great blog, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your background on the subjects of these paintings. I agree with you that paintings during this period are crucial, as they documented some of the most revolutionary scientific discoveries of the time. I love the first painting, and how it depicts the drive of these scientists to continue their research even in harsh conditions; I think that is really indicative of the Enlightenment period. I also agree that the illusion of light created by these paintings is phenomenal. It really adds a drama to the paintings that I think is also indicative of the time. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early Modern Blog Exhibit

Welcome to my Blog: Introduction Post