Non Western Blog Exhibit

I chose artwork from Japan from the Tokugawa period. I feel that these works of art are very beautiful. Japanese art is, in my opinion, the prettiest and most minimalistic art style. Japanese art influenced many peaceful European artists such as Monet and Van Gogh; what I like about Japanese art is it is usually not serious and demoralizing like most artwork from this time period. The Tokugawa period was from 1603-1867 and their art was directed toward decorating paintings that represent a blossoming native culture. A style of art during this time is called Ukiyo-e which just means floating world, and all of the work I chose was from this time period and with that style. I love how these all have the same theme but are all very different. 

The Great Wave

One of Japan's most famous artists is Hokusai, he has changed many things about himself throughout his lifetime. Hokusai changed his name multiple times and his art style; he stated on multiple occasions that he doesn't believe any artwork he created before the age of 50 really counts. He painted The Great Wave between the years of 1830-1832, this is one of the most famous paintings in the world and arguably the most iconic Japanese painting. This painting is included in a series of artwork from Hokusai called The Thirty-six views of Mount Fiji, Mount Fiji doesn't always take precedent in the paintings but is always included. 

Fifty-three stages of the Tokaido

Along the Eastern Road: Hiroshige's Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido -  Reading Public Museum

Hiroshige created a series of artwork similar to Hokusai. Hiroshige's series is called the Fifty-three stages of the Tokaido, he published this series in 1933-1834. He toured fifty-three villages and towns that provided lodging and refreshments for travelers in 1832. Hiroshige was trained in the tradition "floating world" which is also known as Ukiyo-e. Since his artwork was created in a series, I cannot find the title of this specific painting but this is the most famous painting in his series. The series includes 55 scenic paintings from the Eastern Road, this road links Tokyo with Kyoto. 

Cormorant Fishing Boats on the Nagae River

Keisai Eisen: Cormorant Fishing - Sixty-nine Stations of Kisokaido -  Artelino - Ukiyo-e Search

This is another series of paintings from a third artists of the Ukiyo-e style in the Tokiado Period, painted in  1835-1838. This artist's name is Keisai Eisen, he focused on living for the sensory pleasures. His landscape paintings were some of the most unique work in the field and were valued highly, he also painted portraits but he put his own twist on them by giving them larger than normal heads. Eisen has many different sides to his work, which I feel makes someone an even better artist. 

An artist with variety I think is the most successful because they cater to more crowds. I chose artwork from this period and country because I love how different it is from everything we have went through in this chapter. I really enjoyed this project because I got to see how another cultures artwork inspired the typical European art 


https://ukiyo-e.org/image/mfa/sc129529

https://www.artsandcollections.com/article/japanese-art-hokusai

https://www.artelino.com/articles/keisai-eisen.asp

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ap-art-history/south-east-se-asia/japan-art/a/hokusai-under-the-wave-off-kanagawa-the-great-wave

https://www.readingpublicmuseum.org/along-the-eastern-road-hiroshiges-fifty-three-stations-of-the-tokaido

Comments

  1. Hi Haley, 
    I just wanted to say that just looking at the art piece for your exhibit I could tell instantly that it was going to be about Japan and Japanese art. The first painting you chose, The Great Wave is one of the most famous paintings in the world, that's how I could tell your exhibit was on Japan. The Great Wave is personally one of my favorites, I also really liked learning that the second piece was a part of a   series and that the series is paintings from the Eastern Road that connects Tokyo to Kyoto. One of my best friends from high school actually lives in Tokyo, I will have to check out an art museum there to see some of the interesting art pieces. I think your topic on Japan fits well in the Non-Western theme through the art pieces you chose and the description. Overall, I think you did a  great job! 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Classical Blog Exhibit

Early Modern Blog Exhibit

Welcome to my Blog: Introduction Post