Italian Renaissance: Venus of Urbino

 Italian Renaissance: Venus of Urbino 

Previous to this assignment I had never heard of Titian, but after looking at his work I am in awe. He has some extremely beautiful work, but the Venus of Urbino is my favorite. The painting has extreme detail and color; you can tell he was an amazing artist by the way he shows off her curves against a dark wall, the flowers in her hand, etc. I see this painting as a confident woman who is proud of her body. Nowadays we are so quick to judge people on their bodies and body shame women, and the confidence I see in is the is the reason I chose the Venus of Urbino. With everyone demonstrating what they see as perfect on social media, it has created an increase in women's insecurities. I would love to see every woman have the confidence this beautiful woman has. 


Venus of Urbino


The Venus of Urbino was created in 1538 on an oil canvas in Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence. This painting is not only about the confidence she has, but it shows passion; her rosy cheeks, the way she is laying on the sofa, and the look in her eyes. I personally would not want this picture hung in my house, but I would love to see it in person. Titian popularized beautiful women in Venice by using his artwork; this woman represents the generic idealized female at that time. She has pale skin, blonde hair, a floral object, expensive jewelry, etc. 

The link for the websites I found helpful in finding information is below. 


italian-artists-set-the-renaissance-in-motion

titian-venus-of-urbino

Comments

  1. I agree with you this is an extremely beautiful piece of art work. I also agree that this piece does show the woman’s confidence, and the women these days need to be more confident and comfortable with their bodies. I think the lighting that is used helps to show great detail and gives the perception of soft skin. Her hair even looks soft. The lines and detail of the sheet make it look real.
    I was wondering what is going on in the background with the little girl though, so I looked it up. Apparently the girl represents the maternity omen. And the dog represents marital fidelity. I put the link below if you want to read more.
    https://www.virtualuffizi.com/the-venus-of-urbino-is-%C2%ABcoming-back-home%C2%BB-for-the-first-time-.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Classical Blog Exhibit

Early Modern Blog Exhibit

Welcome to my Blog: Introduction Post